Our Mission and History
House of Neighborly Service’s mission is to provide opportunities which encourage, educate and empower San Antonio’s Westside community. We have been living out this mission for over 100 years.
Why “House of Neighborly Service”
Our roots run deep in the Westside. What today serves over a thousand people each year began as a small Presbyterian mission in 1917. During this time, the US Presbyterian Church opened missions called "Houses of Neighborly Service" throughout the South and Southwest region. This was part of an initiative to better serve Mexican-American and immigrant populations. San Antonio's House of Neighborly Service focused primarily on early childhood education and opened the first Kindergarten in the area. Throughout our century of service to the community we have seen many changes, but one constant remains: we are here to humbly serve our neighbors.
Timeline of Key Events
1917: Presbyterian missionaries found HNS
1929: HNS opens doors to new building designed by Harvey P. Smith
1971: HNS is incorporated as a 501(c)(3)
1990: We open Kid's Place Child Development & Treatment Center
2017: HNS celebrates a century of service
2018: We launch a Capital Campaign to rehabilitate our historic building